The Capsule Group and Sign Shares, Inc./ International are holding a Deaf Focus Group in Houston on Saturday, June 4, 2016 to allow participants more time to share their stories about Video Remote Interpreting, or VRI.
The last Focus Group brought up concerns for the Houston Deaf community, including:
- being denied interpreters,
- not knowing what VRI is or never having used it,
- some people being afraid of VRI,
- and the need to know how to request a live interpreter when VRI is not appropriate.
Question we will address:
- Have you ever been offered only VRI services in a hospital or medical setting, without the option of a live interpreter?
Have you or a loved one ever faced complete denial when requesting a Sign Language Interpreter or CART specialist for a medical or healthcare appointment, or for the emergency room?
If you are Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or DeafBlind, or are the family member of someone who is, we encourage you to come and share your thoughts and stories.
The event will be held at the Houston Center for Independent Living at 6201 Bonhomme Rd., Houston, Texas in Suite 150 from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. on June 4.
We will provide a light lunch.
Interpreters and CART will be provided. Those who wish to do so may share videos of their experiences within a documentary film.
Let us know if you plan to attend. At that time, tell us if you need meeting materials ahead of time. Agendas will be passed out at the meeting.
Sign Shares, Inc. Phone: (713) 869-4373
Video Phone: Deaf / Hard-of-Hearing:
VP1: 832-431-3854 or VP2: 832-431-4889